Exposing a Damaged Society- The act of ‘Honour Killing’

ccdc11422763158d1f78a54c1389f19d

There is no large flag enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people- The fresh Quotes

What would you do if the people you called your family cut you into pieces, bundle you in a box and then bury you? What would you do if the ones you called your family kills you for falling in love, marrying for love, talking to a boy, singing and dancing in a video, posting pictures online, refusing to early marriage, marrying an upper class or even speaking out against a patriarchal society? What would you do if the world was unsafe because you were being hunted by those you called family? I think the concept of family; marriage and even love are overrated.

I was extremely angry and heart broken when I heard the news of a Pakistani Woman who had recently been murdered by her own brother for posting risqué videos and statements online- her death was a form of honour killing. As a result of this, I decided to dig further into this so called barbaric practice. Every day, millions of women are killed as a result of this culture, men are also killed too, but the majority of the victims are women- women who are considered invisible.

I am very disappointed at all these patriarchal societies who have not come to understand the era of civilization. A woman was burnt to death by her boyfriend’s mother for refusing to marry her son. The burning was a form of honour killing.  Another young lady of about seventeen years was beaten, shot, stabbed, strangled and then chopped into pieces after which she was kept inside of a small box and secretly buried because she had runway from her abusive husband who would call her ugly and skinny and then rape her like she meant nothing. A man was beaten to death as a form of honour killing for marrying from the upper class. Some group of men and women were killed for appearing in a video in which they were seen dancing and clapping. A woman and her kids were thrown from the top of a roof as a form of honour killing for going against her family. If I continue to recount all these stories, they wouldn’t end.

It is very sad, and dehumanizing that the perpetuators of these crimes aren’t put behind bars and even when they are, one would realise that it just not a person, but a group of forces that are behind the murder of a particular person as they are ignorantly seeking to bring honour to the family through their unrepentant attitudes of boasting about the killings. I am disappointed that the ones we call siblings, brothers, fathers, mothers and even sisters would take part in killing a part of them in the name of honour killing. I am disappointed that even as we strive against the odds of terrorism and other vices, barbaric cultures and insane religious practises are still upholded to limit human’s right to life and expression.

1. I just read the article about the brother who murdered his sister. For someone living in America it is so difficult to think that this happens in our world. I believe that social media and writers like yourself are awakening us to the barbarity that still exists and needs to be addressed. As a species, the human race MUST evolve to a higher level of civilization in order to survive. Your passion is appreciated.

Thank you so much…I really appreciate your kind words…it’s very sad dat dz barbaric cultures are still so much in existence and even practised by both educated people and in developed countries.

2. Funke olotu says:

Am really sad and heart broken to hear about things like this, when family becomes nothing because of “honour”.

The sad Part is having no idea on how to stop this killings than to hope that one day civilisation will be a solution.

That’s true Funke…dz world is smfin else

3. theanonymouscherif says:

Can we all call ourselves human then? Cos some anti-civilizational practices of men can fit for a horror classic.
    Good choice of topic Nifemi.Thanks for the knowledge.

Thankz so much…by the way aw many blogs do you have?

1. theanonymouscherif says:

Lol..forgive me o,its just one functional one jare(theanonymouscherifblog.wordpress.com)

4. Deb says:

This is a sad state of affair. And to make matters worse, I doubt these killers get prosecuted or jailed. Somehow adding the word ‘honour’ before killing makes it ok? I am grateful every day that I live in a place where this is not the norm.

5. adetutu says:

With all the problems we have in the world, the hatred and inter-race wars that we hear of almost everyday, one would think “thank God I have my family”, but when the ones with whom you are supposed to find solace are the ones who end up killing you for the sake of keeping their honour, what can one do? Where can one run to when a person is no longer safe in his/her own house? I mean why can’t I refuse something? Why can’t I say no to an early marriage? Why is it bad that I want to be free from constant domestic and sexual abuse? A lot of times, people are ignorant and keep doing things in the name of tradition.. “that’s how it’s been from the time of our forefathers, so it cannot change” Hello! Can we just wake up real quick? The world has evolved and still is.. Those forefathers? They are long gone, they didn’t know better. How can other people value our lives when our own family doesn’t value our lives? Why can’t I marry someone I am in love with? It is so sad that this is still happening in this world at this time when everyone should know better. It is only a matter of time till we wipe one another off the surface of the earth. May God heal the world.

Amen ooo…thanks for stopping by

Amen ooo…thanks for commenting 😊😊

6. zuluobanor says:

It’s so sad. God knows how long it’d take for the light to reach these parts.

7. BLACKPROWRITER says:

This is sad and scary to read because it’s happening somewhere, somehow. Nice one Adichiebabz.

8. I’m just hearing this for the first time. Honor killing, what’s the honor in it exactly. This has Nothing to do with honour it’s just sheer wickedness. It’s even more sad that these people were killed by the people supposed to protect them.

Thank you for ur comment…the ‘honour’ is just a word to hide their brutality.

9. D'Dream says:

Its crazy the kind of thinking and thoughts pattern that flows through the carousel veins of those devil incarnated parading as humans who delight in the shedding of blood in the name of retaining an archaic, delusions and blood sucking demonized practices .

Just like you said, it baffles the imagination of a sane person that home where one is suppose to feel safe from the world atrocities is unfortunately a mischievous partner.

Surely ignorance is a bliss where this matter concern.

I pray for those who have been a victim of this rather horrific practice especially the women.

God bless you for raising awareness about this issue