Female Genital Mutilation- Subjecting Women to the Horrors of Sexual Commoditization

“Can you imagine yourself sleeping while someone carves up your genitals? I can’t. Can you imagine passing out from the pain and terror? I can. That is the ‘sleep’ of babies being circumcised. It is the baby’s attempt to escape” – Patricia Robinett

Yesterday I was going through my Gender note, and then decided to watch YouTube videos of cultural practices attributed to gender. I was shocked, disgusted and sad- the videos were terrifying and horrible. How would an insensitive person chop off a woman’s clitoris like it was a piece of meat? How would one seat down and allow this cultural practice to inflict physical and psychological injuries on women? If you think FGM is a cultural practice that is only attributed to Africans, you are quite wrong. Study your environment and listen to the sad stories women from other continent tell. If you also think that FGM is an archaic practice that has long gone been forgotten then you are wrong, the advent of civilization hasn’t done much in putting an end to it.

These young girls who were subjected to this practice were held down with their naked bodies with someone sitting on their chest and another holding their legs and hands tightly while an elderly woman held on to their clitoris chopping it off with a knife-gushing blood like rushing waters. I am of the opinion that marriage to this women was slavery because even after all this rites had taken place, the block headed men who these young girls were married to either exploited, oppressed, dominated or even sent them to early graves.

I am also of the opinion that the reason for Female Genital Mutilation is not to curb chasteness or maintain abstinence, but a way to objectify and commodify these women as sexual objects who would beckon to the call of any man at all times thereby satisfying himself at the expense of the woman’s pleasure. I am of the view that Female Genital Mutilation is as good as subjecting a woman to the form of a sex doll, a plastic without emotions. One of the men in the video documentary accounted that a girl who had undergone this practice was safe from men because she could be sent to faraway places without the fear getting raped because such girls felt nothing, and besides what the men are looking for had been kept away from. I feel that’s a barbaric statement to make- does it mean that when a woman who is sexually assaulted or bedded without her consent and feels nothing or is indifferent to the sexual manipulations on her body it isn’t rape? Does that mean that as long as physical pain is absent, rape is justified? I‘d say, it doesn’t have to be physical before you can experience pain; there are psychological, mental, and other forms of pain felt.

This is one out of several videos-Adult content. https://youtu.be/DjhmVnrLKh0

1. Funke olotu says:

My God, it’s so sad!!
    Rape is Rape whether she feels it physically or not.. if it’s not her choice it is Rape…
    I strongly agree with all your points and those women that cut off the girls clitoris are just shameless and Must have been brainwashed

2. Adaeze says:

Horrifying beyond words.
    I like how you graphically brought to life this terrible, horrible experience.

Thanks a lot…what I have displayed is nothing compared to the real situation..it’s just sad😯

3. Adeyooye Oluwafisayo says:

Gush.. I feel nothing but pain for those involved and the thought that they are females like me is saddening enough. Illiteracy is definitely one of the major reasons for this barbaric belief and I hope those responsible are made to see the light…

4. I shudder at the thought of genital mutilation. It is quite a sickening cultural practice. I believe modern times are gradually changing this act which is wonderful. Really, no girl should have to go through the pain of gender mutilation which has little advantage anyway. 😕
    Lifeofdammy.com

That’s true..thanks for stopping by

5. Your writing shakes my world every time. We in America, especially men, must come to recognize that many of the world’s women are still enslaved by barbaric ritual and ideology. We are just recently coming to grips with the sex slave issue in our country. And, sadly for me, men are the major players. Thanks for your work. It rocks.

6. You just educated me. Your posts are unbelievably enlightening. Reading through this, I got chills and knowing that these acts are still practiced is depressing.

7. oluchee says:

Wait… I don’t understand? How did this get started?
    How and why would anyone allow such to continue. Omg how? This happens?
    This is the first I’m hearing of this. Dear Lord

It’s a practise dat has long been in existence…d sad thing is most mothers are the ones in charge…very sad😯

8. This is just so sad… More women need to stand up and voice out against this evil act

True…d sad thing is dz practise is being practiced in secret now…thnkz for stopping by

9. sbwritingsite says:

I know someone personally who has gone through this. She was born in Africa. I didn’t know the exact terminology for this. I was a teenager when I met her, we were foster sisters briefly. She explained to me the process saying that her “private part was sown up,” and her insurance would not cover corrective surgery. Despite the obvious discomforts you can only begin to imagine it caused her other health problems in her genital area. I forget exactly why she said they did this, I believe it had something to do with sex not being desirable or pleasurable for women. Do not quote me. Either way, it gives me an upset feeling in my stomach, this inhumane treatment of women. I am pro-choice, meaning do what you want, but most cases these women, and children do not have a say in this. And i say most cases, because I am giving benefit of the doubt, but I am assuming no one wants to go through this kind of pain, willingly.

It’s a very sad world…I rilli hope she’s okay now

It’s a very sad world…I rilli hope she’s okay now…thank you for stopping by.

10. debby000 says:

First I must commend you for this post. It’s tough to qualify. Honestly I never paid any attention to this issue. I assumed it had long gone with civilization. This hurts.
    It’s yet enlightening. Thank you

Thank you for the comment😊😊…there’s still so much archaic cultures on the surface of the earth