When some Educated African Men become dumb

GDBee arts: afro-arts: artofsalaammuhammad@yahoo.com // IG: artistsalaam:

“I believe in strong women. I believe in the woman who is able to stand up for herself. I believe in the woman who doesn’t need to hide behind her husband’s back. I believe that if you have problems, as a woman you deal with them, you don’t play victim, you don’t make yourself look pitiful, you don’t point fingers. You stand and you deal. You face the world with a head held high and you carry the universe in your heart.”
C. JoyBell C.

It took a whole lot of time for women to be educated-African Women most especially. To understand that they deserved more than just ending up in the kitchen, or bearing children endlessly. I wouldn’t say that ‘m lucky to have not been born in those Era when   all these laws and rules were enforced, perhaps I would have been killed out of much defiance. Nevertheless, we shouldn’t forget that there is still so much attacking the female gender.  We say the society is improving and understanding the true essence of female education, yet I wonder why there are more boys than girls in my school. Yet I wonder why , a patriarchy minded fellow would say to me ” Nifemi, being a feminist is an offense to God, If some of the other girls in the department aren’t  Yoruba, you as a Yoruba woman aren’t you supposed to know your duties as a woman to your husband- to kneel before him at all times, to understand that his priorities matters, to understand that if my husband beats me, I should stay and keep praying for him”.

I still don’t understand why some guys in my school would say without much thinking that if they had a female child they wouldn’t let her go to school, for all that mattered she was created for pleasure and cooking, and when it was night time these set of guys would not stop talking of how girls cheaply sold themselves to a one thousand Naira note. Such girls are the kind who makes you wonder if fighting for women was worth it. I am still angry at a dumb educated man who called me in my first year in the University because he thought I was a guy. He was shocked to realize I was a girl. Do you know what he said to me? ” I didn’t expect you to be a girl, you shouldn’t have passed this much with this kind of CGPA, but I ‘d give you some semesters more, and I can assure you that you ‘d drop because girls are often distracted by a lot of things most especially boys”. I stood there angry at him, and this anger I have bottled up within, carrying it with me to always shame him that I am the kind of woman who doesn’t get distracted by unnecessary things.

At the same time I still blame thousands of parent who force their female children to aspire to marriage rather than self empowerment, motivation,  development. The  concept of education is now an ornament meant to decorate the female and commodify her-a means for a higher bride price.

All the same, I am still happy that from the stage I could remember growing up, young girls have always been the ones leading in the class rooms, and I ‘d say to such women, keep staying strong-when we empower ourselves we empower a nation.

1. adetutu says:

This is really good. If there is one thing I am grateful for, it is that my father is sponsoring my education. If he had been one of those fathers who believe sending a girl-child to school is a waste of time because she will still end up in the kitchen, I would have been married with a child by now. I thank God for such opportunities. And to those ignorant educated men, it is not their fault that they think that way, it is the way in which they were brought up, what they were made to believe as children growing up. That women are not important and they should not be given as much attention as the male children. It is their fault on the other hand because they have refused to liberate themselves from the shackles of such primitive belief. Some people need to be educated about how important it is to empower the female child. Keep up the good work 👍

Thanks dear…I really appreciate this comment…the society is still lacking behind

2. funkeolotu says:

Am just like go girl! Damn girl! I am so proud of you!
    As for the DUMB educated African men, we are tired of them.
    I remember a night in school when I was talking about how I can never be an house wife and some guy was like “What do you now want to be? ”
    I already murdered him in my head and I was so DISSAPOINTED, because I thought he was a reasonable person. I was so weak that I could not waste my saliva to educate his dumb ass.

Great read
    Keep it up!

1. Well he sure as hell is an educated dumb African man and the best revenge is always success. You just got to work hard and don’t let no man define your self worth.

Thanks jessy😚😘

Seriously, dumb men no det show for face…it’s untill u hear dem gush out nonsense before you ‘d be disappointed…thanks dear for commenting

3. toksdavid says:

This post reminded me of a book I read, were the man said “Women are born to be wives and not to be educated or become literates”
    Well thank God my own dad doesn’t have that kind of mindset, well this is a must read for everyone.

Enjoyed reading this.

Lolz…’m happy when women says their fathers aren’t one of the patriarchal minded ones…thanks for commenting dear…I appreciate it

4. In my country, Engineering courses were always dominated by boys in campuses. As recent as this year, the number of boys enrolling for engineering courses is always higher than for girls. It’s not that women are stupid. They simply get demotivated by constant comments of girls can’t perform because of distractions from this and that. Or girls are not bright in sciences like Physics, Biology and the likes. Or women are not supposed to do certain courses because they are for men. I say if a woman is sharp, go for it! Do even those human cell related courses. Let nobody and especially from the opposite sex pin you down. love this revamped blog look. You finally got a domain or?

Thank u👏👏👏it’s still sad dat even as at now, d Engineering faculty is still dominated by guys and few girls…
      I didn’t buy a domain, I changed the theme of the blog

5. I believe that boys like them should motivate us to be successful and independent women regardless of the field we choose to work . They should motivate us to be better at what we do and eventually become the best and prove them wrong; by the time their sisters and female friends start becoming more successful than them their ideology will have to change . We will change their ideology with our success, one educated dumb African man at a time. For the stubborn ones who will refuse to face the truth, we’ll tell them boy bye cos real men don’t discriminate against women.

6. Fijay says:

Women make up 50% of the worlds population …we need equality to be able to educate the other 50% …..the men 😉

👏👏👏thanks…u ‘v said it all

7. D'Dream says:

Dumb men iyaff suffered, lolz

Lolz…😅😅😅