A beautiful guest post from Chidinma Okoroafor. Read and enjoy!
The phrase “be yourself” is a commonly used term in the world of advice. In this article we would explore the steps on how to achieve this purpose. Before then, I would narrate a story about a girl who was a shy and quiet kid, and going to school at first was a horrible experience. At her adolescent age she felt embarrassed and lonely for standing out from her peers. However, having made a decision to fit in rather than expressing who she was because of the desire to win the approval of her peers buried her true self. After a while, due to her new found faith she felt responsibility to live a life that reflected who she was. Each time we make little decisions to fit in whether as a child or as an adult we deny ourselves of who we are really are. Being oneself is a very difficult task, but the following suggestions will help achieve ones purpose.
- Always reveal your uniqueness: Produce a dally practice of doing something that depicts you without regard of popularity.
- Make time for privacy: Taking a few minutes to reconnect with you will help rather than letting yourself being caught up in the middle.
- Think about your childhood passion: Think about that one thing you loved doing as a kid, that way it will be a clue to your truest expressions.
- What do you value: Write down what you value, by doing this you would be able to express your values
- Easy on pressure: Don’t put much pressure on yourself to make the right choice when it comes to your calling. Sometimes you just have to pick something and take action.
- Create a relationship based on being you: For some people who are naturally inclined to what other people think, you are likely to have a great propensity to emphatic. Reach out to others to get the support you need by building upon that strength.
- Find your mantra: Write down on card for an opinion you are not prepared to do. It does have to be eloquent.
- Support others in self expression: When you see someone standing out rather than fitting in, be a voice of encouragement to them.
- Create an art: you can express yourself by drawing. It will be the best purchase ever.
- Remind yourself you are important: Always remind yourself of how important this is. Hanging a sign at your refrigerator or your mirror will be best.
If you feel like your true self is lost in the pit of fitting in, fear not because you are closer than you think. I hope the above suggestions works for you, but remember to pay attention to each of them.